The Old Bradley Academy historical marker is free-standing and located on Academy Street in front of the Bradley Academy Museum and Cultural Center. Bradley Academy was founded in the early nineteenth century as a school for white males. James K. Polk was one of the academy’s early students. From 1884 until the 1960s, the school served as an elementary school for African Americans in Rutherford county. The 1917 building is an excellent example of standardized, early-twentieth century schoolhouse architecture. The Old Bradley Academy marker was dedicated on May 25th, 1991, by the Bradley Academy Historical Association.