Rio Mill Historic Marker

Marker Text:

"In 1855, W. S Huggins and Company built a four-story brick mill building on this site. It was powered by two twenty-give horsepower engines with a capacity of 200 barrels of flour per day. In 1860, William Spence bought the mill. Both the Confederate and the United States Armies used the building. After the war, it was converted to a cotton gin by Farmer's gin Company. Later owned by C.N. Haynes, it was demolished in 1990." Note: this monument is attached to a building rather than standing on it's own."